1 – Chocolate
This delicious treat is a temptation for people, but do not even consider offering it to your dog. Among their problems is the fact that chocolate contains theobromine, which is stimulant and works similar to caffeine, and is poisonous to dogs.
Although the amount of this substance varies according to the type of chocolate, the darker the more it possesses the theobromine, even small doses can affect the heart, central nervous system and kidneys of your pet.
If he has ingested, know that poisoning occurs between four and 24 hours after consumption. The degree of poisoning depends on the amount of chocolate the pet has eaten, and may have vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, tremors, hyperactivity, and even seizures.
It is best to take the dog to the veterinarian, and the first step is to make him vomit. Treatment will depend on the symptoms it presents, and may need intravenous fluids (drip) and / or medications to control heart rate, blood pressure, and seizures.
2 – Coffee, tea, stimulant drinks and other caffeinated products
Like chocolate, these beverages contain a stimulant, caffeine. It is worth mentioning that dogs are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than people.
Although a little coffee or tea will not cause serious damage to the dog, it is best to prevent it from approaching this type of drink. If ingesting coffee grounds or tea bags can suffer from more serious problems. Signs of caffeine poisoning are similar to what happens with chocolate consumption. The treatment is also similar.
3 -Colon, garlic, chives
These vegetables can cause in the pet gastrointestinal irritation (stomach and intestine), leading to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible to these foods, dogs are also at risk if they are ingested without large amounts.
Onions are particularly toxic and signs of poisoning may appear only a few days after consumption. In addition, all types of onions are harmful, even if it is dehydrated, raw or cooked. So when it comes to eating pizzas, do not let the pet taste it.
4 – Alcohol
Any drink containing alcohol is significantly more toxic to dogs than to people. If the dog swallows it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.
5 – Avocado
The main problem of this fruit for the dog is that it has a substance called persin, which is also in the leaves and seeds of the avocado, even in the bark. If the pet ingests, it can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
6 – Grapes and raisins
These foods should not be given to the pet because they can cause kidney failure. Dogs that already have certain health problems may have an even more serious reaction.
7 – Persimmon, peaches and plums
The seeds of these fruits can cause inflammation or obstruction of the small intestine.
8 – Macadamia
After 12 hours the dog eats macadamia can show signs of weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia (increased body temperature). These symptoms tend to last up to 48 hours, being important to take it to the veterinarian.
9 – Pasta
When yeast is used as yeast in the preparation of pasta, this food is not suitable for dogs. Masses containing yeast can cause gases that accumulate in the digestive system. In addition to being painful, the gas can cause the stomach or intestines to become clogged and even distended.
10 – Bones
Although it is very common to give dogs the bones, it is important to say that domestic animals can choke on them, as well as suffering damage with shrapnel that can lodge in the digestive tract. If you give him a bone, it’s best to be around to see if he does not choke.
It is also more appropriate to offer your pet bones raw, because after cooking chips more easily, in addition to preferring the smaller bones. Either way, do not make it a habit because many bones can cause constipation.
11 – Corn on the cob
Unlike most vegetables, it does not digest well into a dog’s stomach. If it swallows a large piece, it can cause intestinal obstruction, and the symptoms are vomiting, loss of appetite, lack of stool or even diarrhea. In that case, take him to the vet immediately.
12 – Sugar
Sugar-free foods should not be given to the dog, yet another reason to shy away from your best friend’s chocolates. In addition to causing obesity, it can cause dental problems and possibly diabetes.
Likewise, oxylitol – a kind of sweetener – should be avoided, although it is a natural sweetener currently used in many products such as chewing gum and diabetic foods. Symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting and loss of coordination, and may progress to decubitus and seizures.
13 – Milk
As dogs do not have significant amounts of lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk, the drink is not digested by the pet’s body. Therefore, he will have diarrhea or other digestive problems. The same goes for certain yogurts and other dairy foods. Yogurt the recommended is only 100% natural (which is not easy to find by the way). Others, if he drinks, take him to the vet.
14 – Eggs, meats and raw fish
Raw foods are dangerous and can cause food poisoning due to bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli. An enzyme in raw eggs also interferes with the absorption of B-complex vitamins, which can result in skin and coat problems.
All you need to do is cut these food groups from your dog’s diet so that it develops in a healthy state. Follow here also our tips on how to make a proper and balanced diet for him!
15 – Commercial Ration
I’ve been warning you for a long time. Not only I, but several different veterinarians and scientists around the world:
Most commercial pet dog food is crap!
You should only give them when you really do not have the time to give quality food to your furry.
If you do not do this, your dog may unfortunately be at great risk by eating commercial feed for years on end.